Dallas – Samsung Telecommunications America said at the Samsung Developers Conference here Wednesday that its Oculus powered Gear VR Innovator Edition virtual reality system will be available in the U.S. early next month.
The special application developer’s edition headset, which is also available to general customers, is said to deliver a fully immersive virtual reality experience for consumer and professional applications. Pricing was not disclosed.
“We are looking forward to working with developers and partners on building amazing, accessible Virtual Reality experiences, that help bring the immersion of VR mainstream over the coming months and years,” said Nick DiCarlo, Samsung immersive products and virtual reality VP and GM. “Samsung is pleased to be joining the VR community and will continuously endeavor to bring the Next Big Thing in Virtual Reality.”
The system is designed around the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone (sold separately) and uses the device’s 5.7-inch high resolution Quad HD Super AMOLED display to generate 360-degree visuals.
Gear VR is equipped with a touch pad, back button, and focus adjustment wheel.
The Samsung Gear VR will automatically download special Oculus software to the Note 4 when connected for the first time. The Oculus software includes: an Oculus Home VR home screen and content discovery center; an Oculus Store for new content to download from the Oculus platform; the Oculus Cinema VR movie theater and Oculus 360 videos and photos.
In addition to entertainment applications, Samsung said the Gear VR Innovation Edition can be adapted for realistic training simulations, for example, in the use of vehicles or aircraft, 360-degree views of scans for healthcare, and interactive learning experiences for the classroom.
Partner Oculus will make the Oculus Mobile SDK for Gear VR available now to all developers who register at developer.oculus.com/.
Among the potential applications developed with partners of both Samsung and Oculus are the following:
• As part of the Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron partnership with Samsung, Gear VR users will have exclusive access to Tony Stark’s Lab inside the new Avengers Tower.
• Cirque du Soleil Media will offer a 360-degree live-action 3D VR experience, featuring an act from Zarkana filmed by Felix & Paul Studios.
• DreamWorks VR from DreamWorks Animation offers an interactive experience with DreamWorks characters.
• Harmonix Music VR places a users’ music library in a fully immersive, musically responsive environment that produces visualizations set to favorite tracks.
• M-GO Advanced presents an interactive movie and video search and discovery experience with Samsung Gear VR.
• Protocol Zero from DENA enables allows VR players to infiltrate enemy grounds undetected in blackout conditions with hi-tech optics including night vision, X-ray vision, and thermal vision.
• Temple Run VR from Imangi’s encourages Samsung VR wearers to run as far as they can through a perilous winter wonderland while fleeing Arctic Demon Monkeys.
• Vevo provides more than 100,000 HD music videos, live concert events and original programming in an immersive, full-screen theater experience.
• WemoLab’s theBluVR provides an immersive dream-like world of marine life.