Giving another shot in the arm to the successful DVD format is a string of blockbuster film releases in the format, timed for this week's Video Software Dealers Association (VSDA) convention.
Topping a long list of DVD release news were the following major studios' announcements:
- Buena Vista Home Entertainment will release its family blockbuster Toy Story 2 on DVD day and date with VHS on October 17. The specially priced DVD double pack will carry a $39.99 suggested retail price and will feature both Toy Story and Toy Story 2 movies, plus bonus materials including outtakes and an animated short called Luxo Jr. from Pixar, which produced both animated hits.
- Dreamworks will announce the release of its Academy Award-winning American Beauty on DVD day and date with the VHS version on October 24. The box-office powerhouse, which earned $325 million in worldwide sales, will carry a $26.99 suggested retail for DVD, $24.99 for VHS.
- Both special editions include commentary by Academy Award-winning director Sam Mendes and Oscar-winning director of cinematography Conrad L. Hall.
- Universal recently announced the availability of Jurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Erin Brockovich on DVD. The two Jurassic Park titles will be available October 10 as collectors' editions for $26.98 each. A special limited-edition gift set including both titles, both CD soundtracks, and a certificate of authenticity will carry a $119.98 suggested retail.
- Erin Brockovich will ship August 15 and will carry a $26.98 suggested retail price for DVD, $22.98 for VHS.
- Warner Home Video will release six titles in July: the newly DVD-ROM enhanced Space Jam (July 25), My Dog Skip (July 11), The Whole Nine Yards (July 18), The Big Tease (July 18), The Crush (July 18) and Diabolique (July 18).
-- Greg Tarr