Verdict: The Yeti X World of Warcraft Edition USB microphone not only has the same great professional sound recording as the original Yeti X, but brings streamers, gamers and fans of the Warcraft universe some exciting sound options to make their gaming sessions, streams and recordings even more fun. It also looks incredible with its gold trim and laser etched runes.
- Professional Yeti X USB mic performance
- Beautiful custom casing design, laser etched runes on base
- Hundreds of HD sound samples from the new Shadowlands expansion and World of Warcraft universe
- Create, import and share custom sound samples
- Assign sounds to hotkeys on compatible Logitech G hardware for quick playback
- Logitech G HUB software required to use
- Not compatible with Blue’s Sherpa app
Recommended Best For: World of Warcraft fans, Podcasting, Game Streamers, YouTubers
Earlier in 2020, we reviewed the Yeti X USB microphone by Blue, recommending it highly for anyone wanting to upgrade their podcast, game streaming, YouTube channel, work from home or other audio recording performance. We stand by that recommendation still and were excited to try out the new sound features included with the World of Warcraft edition Yeti X.
The World of Warcraft Yeti X has the same great hardware features as the original Yeti X, including four pick-up patterns you can control directly from the mic - cardioid, omni bi-directional and stereo - customizable lighting options and a four-capsule condenser array for greater focus and clarity. Our review of the original Yeti X USB microphone covers these and other features in more detail, but what is different about the World of Warcraft version, and why would anyone want to buy it?
First off, the custom design of the microphone is beautiful. The casing has a matte Battle Grey finish with elegant gold accents along the base - which has stylized runes laser engraved around it - and where the body meets the mesh. Additionally, the official World of Warcraft logo is proudly displayed on the back of the microphone in matching gold finish.
Runes are also engraved on the LED vocal level display, giving the mic some fun Azeroth flavor. Even better, you can customize the colors on the vocal level display in the G HUB app to match your Horde or Alliance faction allegiance, or create your own color scheme to suit your mood.
Exclusive Sound and Audio Features
The most exciting feature in our opinion, and the reason why most will purchase the Yeti X World of Warcraft Edition, is the addition of advanced voice modulation with Warcraft character presets, along with hundreds of HD audio samples from the latest expansion, Shadowlands, and the World of Warcraft universe. Accessible in the Logitech G HUB app, these sound features are exclusive to owners of the World of Warcraft Edition Yeti X mics and are not, nor will be, available for separate purchase.
With the voice modulation, you can currently use the modulation to change your voice into an Orc, Gnome, Demon and Imp during your gaming sessions or streams. The collection of HD audio samples are official Blizzard Entertainment recordings, and if you are using other Logitech G hardware, such as mice or keyboards, you can assign any of these official sounds to hotkeys or buttons in G HUB. This is an incredibly fun feature to have, and the uses are nearly endless.
Additionally, you can record, import and share your own custom sounds and sound clips and assign them through the G HUB app. This opens up a whole world of customization for guilds, streamers and creativity. The sounds and voice modulation isn’t limited to World of Warcraft gaming either, and can be used for online RPG nights, Zoom calls or just when you want to have fun hanging out with your family or friends online. We do recommend using your better judgement in work or client meetings, though.
Unlike the original Yeti X, the World of Warcraft Yeti X cannot use the Blue Vo!ce Sherpa app. At time of publishing, it is unknown if this function will ever become available, but we will update our review when and if it does.
The software that must be used with the Yeti X World of Warcraft Edition is the Logitech G HUB desktop app. What this means is that Yeti and Yeti X mic owners using Blue’s Sherpa app will not be able to plug in a World of Warcraft Edition mic and have the software recognize it. Fortunately, this isn’t a huge problem as the Yeti X’s lighting customization is already handled through G HUB, and many, if not most, Yeti X owners will likely have already installed it.
The biggest reason we are disappointed the Sherpa app doesn’t work with the World of Warcraft Edition is the amount of broadcast presets Blue includes with that software, which makes it easier to hit the ground running with the Yeti X. At time of publication, the G HUB version of the Blue Voice software for the World of Warcraft Edition Yeti X is still in early access, but more functionality is planned to rollout in future updates. We hope to see more of the native presets from Sherpa included.
Should you buy the Yeti X World of Warcraft Edition? The Yeti X World of Warcraft Edition is a special version of an already incredible USB microphone. We highly recommend the Yeti X for its incredible sound capture and quality, and the World of Warcraft Edition just adds a layer of icing to this already delicious cake. Which version you decide to purchase is really up to you and what you plan on using the microphone for the most. But, if you’re a gamer like us, the World of Warcraft Edition is hard to resist.
We say YES if you:
- Are a World of Warcraft/Blizzard Entertainment Fan/Collector
- Are looking for a professional audio USB microphone with flexibility and top quality sound
- Are a streamer/gamer/YouTuber who wants to raise their aesthetic with a beautiful microphone
- Want to have tons of fun changing your voice and using and creating custom sounds for your streams and gaming sessions
We say NO if you:
- Already have a Yeti X and/or don’t need or want the voice and sound exclusives
- Are not a fan of World of Warcraft
For more information about the Yeti X World of Warcraft Edition, visit https://www.bluemic.com/en-us/products/yetixwow/
Product sample provided by Blue.
See also: Review: Blue Yeti X USB Microphone
Blue Yeti X World of Warcraft Edition Tech Specs
Microphone and Performance
- Power Required/Consumption: 62mA - 203mA
- Sample/Bit Rate: 48 kHz, 24-bit
- Capsules: 4 Blue-proprietary 14mm condenser capsules
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid, Omnidirectional, Bidirectional, Stereo
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Max SPL: 122dB
- Dimensions (extended in stand): 4.33" (11cm) x 4.80" (12.2cm) x 11.38" (28.9cm)
- Weight (microphone and stand): 2.8 lbs (1.28kg)
- Weight (microphone only): 1.14 lbs (.519kg)
- Impedance: 13 Ohms min, 16 Ohms typical
- Power Output (RMS): 72mWrms per channel
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Signal to Noise: 100dB
- PC - Windows 7, 8.1, 10
- MAC - macOS (10.10 or higher)
- USB 1.1/2.0/3.0
Package includes Yeti X World of Warcraft Edition USB microphone (including desktop stand), 2m USB cable, Quick Start Guide