LG came to the CEDIA Expo on the heels of 30 to 45 percent price reductions on its OLED Ultra HD 4K TVs and the launch of the first OLED TV at $1,999. The new model is a 55-inch 1080p curved-screen TV.
With the price shifts, LG contended its OLED TVs “are now priced comparably to many of today’s premium LCD/LED TVs.”
The price of the $1,999 1080p TV is after a $500 instant rebate expiring at the end of the year. The TV rolled out earlier this month at $2,499.
The 30 to 45 percent reductions on the 4K OLED TVs went into effect last week (Oct. 8) and consist of $1,000 to $1,500 reductions plus a $1,000 instant rebate, which expires at the end of the year. Without the instant rebates, the price reductions would be 28 percent for the two 55-inch models and 15 percent for the two 65-inch models.
The company’s 4K OLED models now start at $2,999 after instant rebate for the 55-inch curvedscreen model and 55-inch flat-screen model. Prices top out at $4,999 after rebate for the 65-inch flatscreen model and for the 65-inch curved-screen model. The flat models feature high dynamic range (HDR) capability, and the curved models are getting an HDR firmware update.
At $1,999, the 1080p OLED TV is priced more than 85 percent less than the launch price of LG’s first-generation 55-inch class model, initially sold at $14,999 two years ago, the company said.
LG is the only company offering OLED TVs, and “has achieved significant manufacturing efficiencies, allowing LG OLED prices to drop rapidly,” the company said.
Here’s how the pricing stacks up:
EF9500 Series Flat OLED 4K Ultra HD TVs
• 55-inch 55EF9500 reduced from $5,499 to $3,999, plus $1,000 instant rebate available through the end of 2015, for a net price of $2,999.
• 65-inch 65EF9500 reduced from $6,999 to $5,999, plus $1,000 instant rebate, for a net $4,999.
EG9600 Sries Art Slim Curved OLED 4K TVs
• 55-inch 55EG9600 moves from $5,499 to $3,999, plus $1,000 instant rebate, for a net $2,999.
• 65-inch 65EG9600 move from $6,999 to $5,999, plus $1,000 instant rebate, for a net $4,999.
55EG9100 Full HD Curved OLED TV
• 1080p TV is priced at $2,499, though the net price is $1,999 after $500 instant rebate running from Oct. 18 through the end of the year.