The TWICE Top 50 Major Appliance Retailers Report ranks the leading domestic white-goods dealers by consumer sales of major appliances for the 2017 calendar year.
Sales figures are based on information that was supplied by retailers responding to a survey by TWICE and its research partner Senex, a global industry research firm.
Absent retailers’ input, estimates were developed using economic models related to house- hold demand for major appliances on a local market level, including housing market data, average retail price points by product and other sources, plus industry sizing based on wholesale shipment figures from the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM).
All estimates were further refined and submissions vetted using public filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), TWICE industry analyses, financial analysts’ reports, published data and other sources.
Sales figures for 2017 were then compared to 2016 sales tallies and adjusted if necessary to more closely track industrywide revenue growth.
Major appliance retailers must meet the following criteria to be considered for inclusion in the TWICE Top 50 Major Appliance Retailers Report:
- sell new products directly to consumers
- have brick-and-mortar retail stores or a significant online presence;
- sell major appliances as one of their principal lines of business;
- do not sell solely to the builder channel or to multi-family dwellings; and
- sell at least one of the following major appliance categories as defined by AHAM: washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, ranges, cooktops, wall ovens, microwave ovens, room air conditioners and dehumidifiers.
Sales are considered to be the revenue received for merchandise only, and which is sold solely through the retail channel.
Senex, headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is an industry research and analysis firm providing greater clarity into markets and opportunities for entities involved in product development, mergers and acquisitions, retailing and product design.
Founded in 2016, principals at Senex have been creating the TWICE retail rankings since 2006. Their proprietary methodology and refined baseline render sales comparisons with reports issued prior to 2006 imprecise.