Hoffman Estates, Ill. – Sears’ commitment to supporting veterans and military families dates back to WWI and has never wavered. That legacy endures as Sears launches its 10th annual Heroes at Home campaign with Rebuilding Together to raise funds and assist military families in need by making critical home repairs and modifications. Rebuilding Together affiliates and Sears volunteers nationwide will complete dozens of projects this spring, adding to the nearly 1,700 rebuilds completed since the program launched a decade ago.
Now through July 29, Sears Shop Your Way members and customers can donate when they check out at their local Sears store, or online via a link at sears.com/heroesathome. All funds raised will go to Rebuilding Together to rebuild homes for America’s veterans and military families, making them safe and healthy.
“Even after 10 years of Heroes at Home, we’re still humbled by the stories of sacrifice and commitment at every rebuild,” said Gerry Murphy, chief marketing officer for Sears. “Supporting veterans and military families unites all Americans and it’s in our company’s DNA. We’re proud of Sears’ legacy of supporting veterans and of the more than 25,000 veterans and 1,500 active members of the Reserve and National Guard we currently employ.”
This week, RecruitMilitary recognized Sears Holdings as a 2017 Most Valuable Employers for Military winner. Winners are selected annually based on those employers whose recruiting, training, and retention plans best serve military service members and veterans. Last year, Sears Holdings hired more than 2,700 veterans and more than 2,500 military spouses.
By the numbers – 10 years of Heroes at Home:
- $21 million Funds raised to rebuild veteran/military family homes and centers
- 14,250 Veterans served
- 1,660 Rebuilds completed
- 41,500/330,000 Sears associates/volunteer hours logged
“The decade-long commitment to the Heroes at Home program has improved the lives of many veterans and their families,” said Caroline Blakely, President and CEO of Rebuilding Together. “The need for our services still remains very high. Our veterans selflessly gave to our country to serve and protect us, so we’re grateful for the opportunity to help them stay safe and healthy in their homes and assist in their time of need – it’s a privilege our friends at Sears truly understand.”
Highlights of 2017 Builds
Examples of Heroes at Home rebuild projects Rebuilding Together will complete this spring include:
- Columbus, Ohio – Repairing and upgrading a home dedicated to five older veterans. The home is run by a nurse who 17 years ago made it her life’s calling to find a way to provide a home for senior veterans. She returned to school, earned a business degree, and found a way to fund the home, which requires specialized needs for each vet.
- Chicago – Ensuring that a widow of a WWII U.S. Navy veteran lives safely in her home for years to come. The loss of her husband and several of her adult children has left her with few support systems to maintain her independence and upkeep her home.
- Detroit – Making critical repairs for a veteran who served in the Army in Fort Knox in the 1960s. Following open heart surgery, she can no longer perform repairs to her home nor afford to hire someone to do the work for her.
- Pittsburgh – Providing repairs for the widow of a WWII veteran who served in the Army Air Corps near the end of the war. She and her family have lived in their home since 1964 even after her husband passed away in 2014 after 69 years of marriage. Repairs to her home will focus on health and safety improvements that will allow her to age in place while managing several medical challenges.
Sears also reminds military personnel that they can get 20 percent off regular priced (five percent off sale priced) tools, lawn and garden, fine jewelry and work boots, every day.*
For more information about Heroes at Home, to make a donation or volunteer, visit sears.com/heroesathome.
*In-store only. Must be active, reserve, or retired military personnel and present valid military ID. Not combinable with any other coupons, discounts, or during Family and Friends or Member events. Excludes Patio, Grills, Sears Hometown, Outlet, Appliance Showroom and Hardware stores.
About Sears, Roebuck and Co.
Sears, Roebuck and Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ: SHLD), is a leading integrated retailer providing merchandise and related services and is part of Shop Your Way, a social shopping experience where members have the ability to earn points and receive benefits across a wide variety of physical and digital formats through shopyourway.com. Sears, Roebuck offers its wide range of home merchandise, apparel and automotive products and services through Sears-branded and affiliated full-line and specialty retail stores in the United StatesandCanada. Sears, Roebuck also offers a variety of merchandise and services through sears.com, landsend.com and specialty catalogs. Sears, Roebuck offers consumers leading proprietary brands includingKenmore, Craftsman, and DieHard -- among the most trusted and preferred brands in the U.S. The company is the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 14 million service and installation calls made annually. For more information, visit the Sears, Roebuck website at www.sears.com or the Sears Holdings Corporation website atwww.searsholdings.com.
About Rebuilding Together
Rebuilding Together is a leading national nonprofit in safe and healthy housing with more than 40 years of experience. Together, with our corporate and community partners, we transform the lives of low-income homeowners by improving the safety and health of their homes and revitalizing their communities. Rebuilding Together’s local affiliates and nearly 100,000 volunteers complete about 10,000 rebuild projects nationwide each year. Learn more and get involved at rebuildingtogether.org.