Capture Those Perfect Moments with Exquisite Image Quality Outdoors
COLOGNE, Germany, Sept. 19, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — Panasonic is proud to introduce the DMC-G85 (G85), a new rugged-design DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) camera, as the latest member of the LUMIX G Series. The LUMIX G85 incorporates a host of advanced technologies and practical functions in a compact body for field use.
The 5-axis Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer)*( 1) is further advanced in the LUMIX G85 as the new “5-axis Dual I.S. 2,” boasting even more effective suppression against blurring. By adopting a new gyro sensor, the O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer, 2-axis) and B.I.S. (Body Image Stabilizer, 5-axis) are finely controlled to take maximum advantage of both stabilization systems. Users can enjoy blur-free photo and video shooting not only in wide angle but also in telephoto, even in low light situations. Plus, the adoption of a new shutter unit and magnesium front panel reduces shutter shock by approx. 90% to suppress even the slightest level of shake.
The LUMIX G85 packs a host of advanced functions and technologies that let users capture unmissable moments. Taking advantage of 4K technology, users can capture the fleeting photo opportunities at 30 fps in 8-megapixel equivalent resolution to save as a 4K PHOTO. The Contrast AF System features DFD (Depth From Defocus) technology and excels in both speed and accuracy by exchanging digital signals between the camera and the lens at max. 240 fps*(2), resulting in ultra-fast auto focusing of approx. 0.07 sec*(3.) The burst shooting performance is also improved to achieve 9 fps (AFS) / 6 fps (AFC) up to 300 (JPEG) / 45 (RAW ) images or more.
To be tough enough to withstand even heavy field use, the LUMIX G85 features a rugged design and splash / dustproof construction. It integrates an OLED LVF (Live View Finder) with 2360K-dot high resolution in approx. 1.48x / 0.74x (35mm camera equivalent) magnification capability. The free-angle 3.0-inch large, approx. 1040K-dot touch-control monitor with approx.100% field of view makes shooting in high and low angles easier.
The 16.0-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor without Low Pass filter and the new Venus Engine combine to achieve crisp, high resolution images in detail with high contrast, impressive color reproduction and max. ISO 25,600 high sensitivity.
The LUMIX G85 is capable of serious video recording, too. It records smooth, high-resolution 4K video in 3840×2160 at 30p (60Hz) or 24p in MP4. The LUMIX G85 is also capable of real-time image output to the external monitor/recorder via HDMI simultaneously while recording video. The 3.5mm microphone jack provides high quality audio recording with an external microphone.
Panasonic’s unique technologies further enrich the user’s photographic experience. The newly integrated Focus Stacking function lets users adjust the depth of field after shooting by simply selecting the focusing area.
For even more creative photography, the LUMIX G85 incorporates the L.Monochrome mode in Photo Style, which offers an impressive monochrome picture with rich gradation like that of B/W film. Thanks to the Wi-Fi(R) connectivity, users can connect the camera to their smartphone or tablet to expand the flexibility in shooting/storing/sharing images. Focus Bracket and Aperture Bracket are also newly added to the conventional Exposure Bracket and WB Brackets that allow users to choose the best shot after shooting.
The newly available Battery Grip DMW-BGG1 (sold separately) realizes comfortable, long time shooting. The LUMIX G85 is an ideal all-in-one camera packing a host of practical functions for photo/video shooting performance in active field use.
*(1 )5-Axis Dual I.S. 2 works when attaching the lens that complies with it. The compliant lenses are H-FS14140 and H-FS12060 as of 19 September, 2016. Firmware update of the lens is also required.
*(2 )Contrast AF with DFD Technology works only with Panasonic Micro Four Thirds lenses.
*(3 )In AFS, at wide-end with H-FS14140 (CIPA).
1. 5-Axis Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer) 2 – The ultimate advantage against any type of blurring The LUMIX G85 incorporates the new 5-axis Dual I.S.(Image Stabilizer) 2* which has advanced to boast even more powerful and effective blurring suppression. Combining an O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer, 2-axis) and B.I.S.(Body Image Stabilizer, 5-axis), it compensates for larger movements which were conventionally uncontrollable. The LUMIX G85 integrates a high precision gyro sensor that controls the distribution of O.I.S./B.I.S. compensation by studying the focal length and shooting conditions, making it possible to use max.5-stop slower shutter speed*(1). By making the most of both O.I.S and B.I.S., it is highly beneficial not only in wide angle but also in telephoto and in adverse situations, such as at nighttime or with one-handed shooting.
The 5-axis Dual I.S. 2 works for both photo and motion picture recording, including 4K video. Panasonic LUMIX G DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) Cameras offer a wide variety of digital interchangeable lenses and most of them will comply with the 5-axis Dual I.S. in the LUMIX G85*(2) and the B.I.S. compensates for camera movement even when a lens without O.I.S. is used.
The LUMIX G85 features an electromagnetic drive in the shutter unit. The shock caused by the movement of the shutter diaphragm is dramatically reduced and the shutter sound is minimized. Together with the adoption of solid magnesium for the front panel, the total shutter shock is reduced by approx.90% compared with the predecessor G7. This enables users to release the mechanical shutter even in situations where they previously had to use the electronic shutter.
*(1 )Based on the CIPA standard [Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=50-140mm (35mm film camera equivalent f=100-280mm), when H-FS14140 is used.
*(2 )5-Axis Dual I.S. 2 works when attaching the lens that complies with it. The compliant lenses are H-FS14140 and H-FS12060 as of 19 September, 2016. Firmware update of the lens is also required.
2. No more missed photo opportunities – cutting edge technologies & stunning performance Thanks to this 4K technology, users can experience 4K PHOTO to capture fleeting photo opportunities at 30 fps by extracting the frame with the best timing out of the 4K burst file to save as a photo. In 4K PHOTO, three exclusive modes are available to choose from depending on the situation; 4K Burst, 4K Burst (Start/Stop) and 4K Pre-burst. All of these functions in 4K PHOTO let the user save pictures in 8-megapixel equivalent high resolution without missing spur-of-the-moment shots. Plus, multiple images can be saved as 4K PHOTO shots all at once in the LUMIX G85. A maximum of 150 frames in five seconds following a designated frame can be saved.
The Contrast AF achieves even higher speed, higher precision focusing with digital signal communication at max. 240 fps. Furthermore, the DFD (Depth From Defocus) technology*(1) calculates the distance to the subject by evaluating 2 images with different sharpness levels while consulting the data of optical characteristics of the current lens in a moment. As a result, the LUMIX G85 achieves ultra-high speed AF of approx.0.07 sec*(2.) Multi- processing capability realizes high speed burst shooting at 9 fps (AFS) / 6 fps (AFC) to capture fast moving subject in crisp focus. Furthermore, the Venus Engine in the LUMIX G85 is more capable of tracking moving subjects, and it prevents out-of-focus shots even when the subject is fast-moving or when an obstacle cut across in front of the subject. Newly added AF Sensitivity mode lets the user set the tracking sensitivity according to the shooting situation. The compatibility of UHS-II SDXC/SDHC Memory Card and increased buffer memory elevates the maximum number of recordable images in consecutive shooting up to 300 (JPEG) / 45 (RAW ) images or more.
For AF performance, the Low Light AF makes it possible to set focus on the subject more precisely even without an AF assist lamp in extremely low-lit situations down to -4EV, which is as dark as under moonlight. Plus, the DMC-G85 integrates Starlight AF which allows users to shoot a star in the sky at night with auto focus. This can be achieved by the accurate calculation of the contrast value in a smaller AF zone. A total of 49 focus detection areas enable more flexible composition together with the Custom Multi AF mode in which users can freely select the blocks to focus on out of the 49 focusing areas. In addition to the conventional Face Recognition AF, the DMC-G85 incorporates Face / Eye Detection AF which automatically sets focus right on the eye of a human face. With the Pinpoint AF, users can magnify the target area for more precise focus.
3. Perfect mobility with careful design and control – optimized for handheld field use To withstand even heavy field use, the LUMIX G85 boasts a rugged design with a front structure composed of a magnesium alloy full die cast front frame. It also features a splash / dustproof construction thanks to the use of sealing in every joint, dial, and button.
The LUMIX G85 has a large LVF (Live View Finder) with a high magnification ratio of approx.1.48x / 0.74x (35mm camera equivalent). High-precision, high-speed OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) display features 2,360K-dot high resolution and 100% field of view. Adoption of OLED for the LVF achieves high speed response with minimum time lag of less than 0.01 sec as well as 10,000:1 high contrast for exceptional visibility. With an eyepoint of approximately 20 mm, it offers high visibility with comfort for users wearing glasses. It is always sharp and clear from the center all the way to the corners.
Adopting a static-type touch control system, the 3-inch free-angle rear monitor with 1040K-dot high resolution features approx.100% field of view. It tilts up and down by 270-degree which makes shooting in either high or low angle even easier.
To further enhance controllability, the LUMIX G85 comes with an ergonomically-designed thick grip for stable holding even in one hand. The front/rear dual dial system with dial operation switch enables direct setting – for example, users can adjust the white balance with a front dial and set the ISO with a rear dial while choosing the shutter speed or watching the noise effect, which is helpful in complex lighting situations. Two custom modes (C1 and C2) on the mode dial enable users to access the target menu quickly.
4. High image quality with true-to-life detail and impressive color reproduction The LUMIX G85 lets users shoot vibrant, true-to-life high quality images with excellent resolution, high contrast and impressive color reproduction. Removing the Low Pass Filter, the limiting resolution is improved by approx.10%* while detecting high frequency components to suppress the generation of moire by the Venus Engine.
The Venus Engine even reproduces vibrant, impressive colors for images such as clear skies by dividing the hue, saturation, and luminosity, and finely adjusts them separately. Taking advantage of these fine tuning capabilities, the LUMIX G85 enables users to choose a preset of contrast, sharpness, saturation and noise reduction as they like, according to the shooting subject in Photo Style. Notably, L Monochrome mode in Photo Style makes it possible to shoot impressive monochrome photos with deep black and rich gradation like that of B/W film.
The combination of the Digital Live MOS Sensor and the Venus Engine achieves clear image rendering with minimum noise even in low-lit situations and at max. ISO 25,600.
*Panasonic comparison with DMC-G7.
5. 4K capability brings evolution to videography Taking advantage of the high speed signal readout capability of the sensor and high speed signal processing, the LUMIX G85 is capable of recording 4K video*(1)*(2). Despite its high performance, it boasts superior energy efficiency and its size is kept compact for high mobility. The LUMIX G85 records stunningly smooth, high-resolution 4K video in 3840×2160 30p (60Hz) or 24p in addition to the full-HD 1,920 x 1,080 60p (60Hz) videos with practical full-time AF.
The LUMIX G85 is also capable of real-time image output to the external monitor in 4:2:2 / 8-bit*(3) via an optional micro HDMI cable simultaneously while recording video. Users can choose to output only the recording content or the content with the setting menus individually depending on the display.
Gamma presets exclusively for video recording are available in Creative Video mode – “CINELIKE D” and “CINELIKE V” for rich video expression like a cinema.
The 3.5mm microphone jack is for high quality audio recording using an external microphone such as Panasonic External Stereo/Shotgun Microphone DMW-MS2.
In addition, the LUMIX G85 also enables 4K Live Cropping in video recording that realizes stable panning or zooming in video recording. In panning shots, the user can simply set the viewing angle to start and end with to get smooth panning without using any special equipment like a slider. In zooming, you can set the after-zoomed viewing angle first, so that the subject is perfectly framed. Thanks to the digital operation, the zooming imagery is smooth because it does not physically move the zoom lens.
*(1) About motion picture recording / 4K PHOTO recording
– Use a card with SD Speed Class with “Class 4” or higher when recording motion pictures.
– Use a card with SD Speed Class with “UHS-I / UHS-II UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)” when recording motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K] or [4K PHOTO].
(SD speed class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.)
– MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K]:
– When using an SDHC memory card: You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
– When using an SDXC memory card: You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 96 GB or 3 hours 4 minutes in length, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
– MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [FHD] [HD]:
– You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB or 30 minutes in length, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
– When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down.
*(2) For [4K] video output, use an HDMI cable that has the HDMI logo on it, and that is described as”4K compatible”.
*(3) Video is recorded in 4:2:0 / 8-bit on SDXC/SDHC Memory Card.
6. A new shooting experience made possible with advanced LUMIX technologies The LUMIX G85 comes with the Post Focus function that enables users to select the in-focus area even after shooting. This is helpful in situations like macro shooting where strict focusing is required or for changing expressions by changing the focused subject. This function has been developed by combining the high-speed, high-precision DFD (Depth From Defocus) auto focus technology and the 4K technology. Now the Post Focus menu is available on the mode dial for users to activate more quickly.
A newly integrated Focus Stacking function enables users to adjust the depth of field after shooting by combining multiple images shot with the Post Focus function in the camera. Users do not need to set severe focus while shooting as they can get the image with the defocus level that they want or pan-focus image simply by selecting the focus area after shooting. This is beneficial when shooting macro shots of insects, small accessories and so on.
In addition, the LUMIX G85 incorporates Light Composition function as a new option of 4K PHOTO mode. The camera synthesizes the images by choosing and saving brighter pixels. This makes it possible to produce more luxurious, dramatic images of situations such as fireworks or night scenes inside the camera with ease.
7. Other Features
Easy Wireless Connectivity via Wi-Fi(R) with Smartphones The LUMIX G85 integrates Wi-Fi(R) connectivity (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) to offer more flexible shooting experience and instant image sharing with easy operation. Once the camera is connected to a smartphone or tablet installed with Panasonic’s dedicated application software Panasonic Image App for iOS / Android, users can shoot / browse / share images remotely.
Exposure / WB / Focus / Aperture Bracket NEW In the LUMIX G85, Focus Bracket and Aperture Bracket are new additions to the conventional Exposure Bracket and WB Brackets for users to choose best shot after shooting. In Focus Bracket, max.999 images can be shot with different focus points. The Aperture Bracket lets users have multiple shots with different depths of field.
Electronic First Curtain Shutter
The Electronic first-curtain shutter can be used for shooting at a shutter speed of max.1/2000 sec. Because photo is not affected by the vibration of the mechanical shutter, it is ideal for use in situations when a slight, pixel level of vibration matters – such as serious landscape photography.
Power Save LVF Shooting
The LUMIX G85 newly incorporates a power-saving function. To save power, the camera automatically enters sleep mode in designated time (selectable among 3/5/10 seconds) after detecting the eye is off the sensor. Users can quickly go back into shooting mode with a half press of the shutter button. A long battery life of approx.800* images per battery charge is achieved by this Power Saving LVF
* Under the test conditions specified by Panasonic based on CIPA standard. When the time to get in the sleep mode is set to 3 sec.
Creative Control in P/A/S/M Mode
The LUMIX G85 integrates a variety of artistic functions that add fun to digital photography. The popular Creative Control mode features a total of 22 filter options. The effect parameter of each mode is also adjustable. And it is possible to apply one of these filters even in P/A/S/M mode. Users can combine their favorite setting and filter to create the image they want. Also, the LUMIX G85 is capable of taking pictures “with” and “without” filter effects simultaneously, so that they can compare and choose the best ones later.
RAW data development in Camera
Time Lapse Shot / Stop Motion Animation
Battery Grip DMW-BGG1
The LUMIX G85 is compatible with
the newly introduced Battery
Grip DMW-BGG1.By using two
batteries, one in the camera
and the other in the grip, the
DMW-BGG1 extends the battery
life for longer time shooting.
It also makes gripping more
comfortable even in vertical
angle shooting. Exclusively
designed for the LUMIX G85, the
DMW-BGG1 perfectly matches the
camera, boasting a rugged,
*A battery pack is included in
The G85 will be available in October at www.shop.panasonic.com and valued channel partners for $999.99 with a 12-60mm lens and $899.99 body only.
About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company
Based in Newark, NJ, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is a division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation. The company offers a wide range of consumer solutions in the U.S. including products from VIERA Life+ Screens, Blu-ray players, LUMIX Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Home Audio, Cordless Phones, Home Appliances, Beauty, Grooming, Wellness and Personal Care products and more. In Interbrand’s 2014 annual “Best Global Green Brands” report, Panasonic ranked number five overall and the top electronics brand in the report. To learn more about our products, visit panasonic.com. Follow Panasonic on Twitter @panasonicUSA; additional company information for journalists is also available at www.panasonic.com/pressroom.
Web Site: http://www.panasonic.com