RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, NC – August 12, 2014: Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) today, at SIGGRAPH 2014 in Vancouver, British Columbia, announced the launch of the ThinkStation P Series, unveiling its vision for the ultimate in desktop workstation performance, reliability and usability. Rebuilt from the ground up, the Lenovo ThinkStation P900, P700 and P500 workstations join the entry-level ThinkStation P300, announced in May 2014, as the most powerful professional-grade desktop workstations available. Now, professionals in engineering, architecture, media and entertainment, oil & gas, medical & science, finance and other industries can arm themselves with workstation technology selected and configured to meet their needs for enhanced productivity and limitless innovation.
“After a period of intensive research, development and testing, we’re excited to introduce our next generation workstations to the market, as we truly believe this is the best designed workstation ever,” said Victor Rios, vice president and general manager, Workstation, Lenovo. “We built on the advancements delivered in our 30 Series workstations and engineered the P Series with new levels of innovation based on extensive customer feedback. The result for users is optimum performance, outstanding reliability and unparalleled usability that is unlike anything they have experienced.”
Whether it’s engineers working in computer-aided design, artists creating the latest blockbuster action sequence or geophysicists interpreting seismic data for oil & gas exploration, users of professional desktop workstations require the best-performing, most reliable and most usable hardware available. The applications these professionals use to innovate in their industries continue to grow more complex and resource-intensive. As a result, users need desktop workstations that can not only meet the application demands of today but also be configured to anticipate the challenges of tomorrow.
Designed for optimum performance, reliability and usability, Lenovo’s new ThinkStation P Series workstations represent a quantum leap forward for workstation technology. Key benefits of the new systems include:
Ease of Use
The Lenovo ThinkStation P Series features a clean, modular design, making it easier to access components for uncomplicated upgrades.
- Tool-less Upgrades: Access critical components – even the motherboard – without the need for a single tool.
- Red Touch Points: Intuitive red touch points guide users’ hands to quick and easy component changes.
- Integrated Handles: Makes lifting and carrying easy – and allows the system to fit conveniently into any workspace. The integrated handles also allow for easy rack mounting.
- QR Codes: Have support questions about your components? Scan the QR code, and you will be directed to our website with detailed information on system architecture and component technical specifications.
- Diagnostic Port: Plug your Android-based tablet or smartphone into the USB port for system analysis using the ThinkStation app, or use any USB mass storage device to transfer diagnostic information directly to the dedicated ThinkStation diagnostics web page.
Keeping components cool is the key to reliability. Lenovo ThinkStation workstations have historically been the coolest in the industry, and the P Series is the coolest system yet.
- Tri Channel Cooling: ThinkStation P Series utilizes a patented tri-channel architecture resulting in superior cooling of key components.
- Air Baffle: Through a one-of-a-kind, fan-less, multi-channel air baffle, the redesigned system draws in maximum airflow, directing cool air straight to critical system components. Warm air is forced out the back without ever touching other components along the way.
Lenovo has brought the idea of expansion to an entirely new level. From memory and storage capacity to power supply and I/O slots, the P Series offers unique configurations that let users customize the right components no matter what their profession requires for a fully loaded experience.
- FLEX Bay: The FLEX Bay has been designed to support an optical drive or the FLEX Module, which can be used to support an ultraslim optical drive, a media card reader, or Firewire (IEEE 1394).
- FLEX Tray: Newly designed HDD trays support both 2.5” and 3.5” hard drives. And with one tray supporting up to two 2.5” hard drives, users can add as many as 14 drives (P900 model only).
- FLEX Connector: Professionals can increase functionality without sacrificing rear PCIe slots using a mezzanine card that connects to the motherboard – allowing for support for SATA/SAS/PCIe storage and advanced RAID solutions.
- Power Supply: Easily remove the tool-less power supply without worrying about cables. For the P700 and P500 models, this means users can match the size of the power supply to their systems’ unique configuration, allowing them to pay for the performance they truly need.
Boosting productivity starts with incomparable computing and graphics performance. With the Lenovo ThinkStation P Series, users can run their mission-critical applications to their limits – from advanced rendering and simulation to analysis of vast data sets.
- Cutting-Edge Processing: The latest Intel® Xeon® processors provide critical computing horsepower.
- Unparalleled Graphical Capabilities: The latest NVIDIA® Quadro® graphics cards provide unmatched visualization performance.
- Memory: The P Series supports a high capacity of DDR4 memory to handle any complex computational task with RAM to spare.
- ISV-Certified Software: The P Series is certified to work on all key ISV applications. In fact, there’s a good chance that many of the world’s largest ISVs developed their software using ThinkStation workstations.
- Pushing the Limits of Expandability: The ThinkStation P900 supports up to three NVIDIA® Quadro® K6000 graphic cards and up to 14 storage devices.
“We want our customers to know that we listened to their demands for a higher-performing, more reliable and more usable workstation, and our ThinkStation P Series represents our response to those demands,” said Rob Herman, director, Worldwide Workstation Product and Vertical Marketing, Lenovo. “We’ve partnered with the best technology makers in the world and engineered these new workstations to be more intuitive, flexible and powerful than any workstation technology available, regardless of the level of user. We’re excited to bring this technology to customers and, more importantly, to see how they’ll use the ThinkStation P Series workstations to power new innovations in their respective industries.”
Businesses can opt for a variety of service and support solutions to fit their needs. With a committed focus on customer, quality and responsiveness, Lenovo Services offers innovative and integrated solutions to ensure maximum productivity. Warranty Extensions, Upgrades, Accidental Damage Protection, Keep Your Drive, Priority Technical Support and a complete set of factory and automated deployment services help organizations effectively bridge the gap between consumer and business.
The new Lenovo ThinkStation P Series workstations will be available starting later this fall through Lenovo business partners and on www.lenovo.com. More information about the P Series can be found at www.thinkworkstations.com. For the latest Lenovo news, subscribe to Lenovo RSS feeds or follow Lenovo on Twitter and Facebook.
“As data sets get larger and more complex, our customers need increasingly powerful, interactive performance. The P Series delivers this capability by utilizing the new generation of NVIDIA Quadro GPUs to ensure that users get the most out of their investments,” said Jeff Brown, VP and general manager, Professional Solutions Group, NVIDIA. “We’ve worked together with Lenovo to provide a high-performance system built to run the most demanding professional applications at the core of our customers’ workflows.”
“Lenovo’s new P Series workstations are built for professionals seeking the latest in form, fit, function, performance and advanced reliability features,” said Frank Soqui, general manager Technical Compute Cloud and Client, Intel. “These workstations, based on the latest Intel® Xeon® processors will also support Intel® Thunderbolt 2 technology and play a key role in helping engineers, analysts, artists, editors, researchers and scientists rapidly create, test and modify their assumptions. The new P Series from Lenovo will help users explore more ideas in less time than ever before, enabling them to discover the optimal results they need.”
“Our customers use SOLIDWORKS to take advantage of 3D in bringing their designs to life,” said Gian Paolo Bassi, vice president Research & Development SOLIDWORKS, Dassault Systèmes. “We’re excited to see that Lenovo’s new workstations are equipped to handle even our most advanced applications for simulation and design, with reliability that ensures minimal downtime and unimpeded productivity.”
“Creative professionals using the high-performance Lenovo P Series workstations will be empowered to do more with Adobe Creative Cloud than they ever thought possible,” said Simon Williams, director of strategic alliances at Adobe. “Lenovo and Adobe together give users real creative freedom with no boundaries.”
“PTC Creo customers benefit from a range of workstation choices to meet their CAD usage scenarios, from conceptual engineering to design, simulation, visual collaboration and more,” said Brian Thompson, vice president, CAD Segment Product Management, PTC. The new ThinkStation P Series workstations enable this choice on a number of innovative dimensions: performance, configurability and serviceability.”
“Users of our applications help us imagine, design and create a better world,” said Amy Bunszel, vice president of AutoCAD products, Autodesk. “Whether they are design professionals, digital artists or students, our software helps users design whatever their imaginations can dream up. Lenovo’s new P Series workstations help them make their ideas reality with the performance, reliability and usability they require.”