By Lisa Johnston
New products on display at the American International Toy Fair, held in N
Arlington, Va. — The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) announced the 2013 class of inductees into the Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame.
Fifteen people make up the new class:
• Samar Basu — worked on the lithium-ion battery at Bell Labs;
• Manning Greenberg — covered the CE industry for Home Furnishings Daily for decades;
• Marcian (Ted) Hoff — invented the microprocessor;
• Team: Jim Barton/Michael Ramsay — founders of TiVo;
• Team: Gary Burrell/Min Kao — their marketing efforts introduced the public to GPS;
• Team: Katsuhiko Machida/Mikio Katayama — visionary work on LCD TVs at Sharp;
• Team: Len and Jim Tweten — specialty retailers who created Magnolia Audio Video;
• Team: Steven Van Slyke/Ching Tang — pioneering work led to OLED displays; and
• Team: Meg Whitman/Pierre Omidyar — built eBay into a global online marketplace.
The inductees were selected by a panel of media and industry professionals who judged the nominations submitted online by manufacturers, retailers and industry journalists.
The honorees will be inducted into the CE Hall of Fame during CEA’s Industry Forum, to be held Oct. 20-23 in Los Angeles. During the event, CEA will host an awards dinner to honor the new class on Oct. 22 at the Century Plaza Hyatt Regency.
“I am inspired by the contributions that this group of leaders has made to our industry. Their vision, tenacity and passion for technology have brought innovative products and services to consumers worldwide. It is an honor to recognize them,” said Gary Shapiro, CEA president and CEO, in a statement.
The CE Hall of Fame, established in 2000, was created to honor “visionaries in the consumer technology industry who advance innovation and build a strong foundation for others to follow.” More information about registering for CEA’s Industry Forum and attending the Hall of Fame dinner is available at CE.org.
This TWICE webinar, hosted by senior editor Alan Wolf, will take a look at what may be the hottest CE products at retail that will be sold during the all-important fourth quarter. Top technologies, market strategies and industry trends will be discussed with industry analysts and executives.