Dallas, TX The Sound Organisation is excited to announce the new Rega Planar 3 turntable and RB330 tonearm. Arriving at the TSO headquarters by the end of May, the Planar 3 has improved sonic performance, aesthetics and usability. The new ‘Planar 3’ is truly a turntable redesigned for 2016 carrying over just two components from the previous model.
The UK based Rega team of designers, directed by Rega’s original founder Roy Gandy, devoted two years of intensive development to perfect the Planar 3. This was the most intensive redesign of the iconic ‘three’ model ever. To compliment the Planar 3 is the new RB330 tone arm. Engineered alongside the Planar 3, the RB330 is the culmination of 35 years of tonearm design experience.
Rega Planar 3 Turntable
A lightweight acrylic laminated plinth strengthened using a new improved double brace system mounted specifically where the increased rigidity is required (between the tonearm mounting and the main hub bearing) which forms a structurally sound “stressed beam” assembly. Rega has pioneered the use of low mass, high strength designs, becoming the foundation of the high level of performance achieved by Rega turntables. Low mass, high strength design directly addresses the issue of energy absorption and energy transmission, which reduces unnatural distortions to the music.
No leaf was left unturned, with Rega’s engineers casting their gaze on mundane assemblies, looking for new ways to extract greater performance. Such was this effort that all new main bearings, sub platters, platters, motor controls, feet and even arm clips saw significant revision.
Planar 3 Turntable Details:
- Plinth – High gloss acrylic, laminated plinth, stiffer and vastly improved appearance, ergonomically positioned power switch. Two plinth finishes currently available are gloss black & gloss white.
- Double braces – Improved thicker 3mm phenolic bottom brace and new metalized skin phenolic top brace.
- Bearing housing and precision main bearing – Re-designed brass main hub central bearing, improved fit and construction reducing stress on the bearing itself.
- Sub platter – Re-designed sub platter, improved accuracy and greater stiffness.
- Platter – New 12mm float glass ‘Optiwhite’ polished rim.
- Redesigned foot – New improved foot to increase stability and reduce vibration transfer.
- 24V motor – low noise twin phase motor with new motor control PCB.
- Motor cover tray with integrated cooling.
- Compatible with the TT-PSU electronic speed change and power supply box (optional).
- Factory fitted with RB330 tonearm and optional Elys 2 MM cartridge.
- Dimensions (lid closed) H 4-1/2” H x 17-1/2” W x 14” D
- Weight 13 lbs.
Rega designed using the latest 3D CAD & CAM technology, the new hand assembled RB330 is the culmination of more than 35 years of tonearm design experience. Featuring a brand new bearing housing with greater stiffness and zero-tolerance bearing. Rega’s latest tonearm wand is designed using intelligent redistribution of mass ensure. This arm wand will exhibit fewer points of possible resonance and have a more neutral sonic character. Extreme stability with almost friction free movement from the new high precision bearing assemblies and lower resonance arm wand guarantees more information from your vinyl than ever before.
RB330 Tonearm Detail
- New bias assembly, re-designed stiffer vertical bearing housing, integrated arm clip and improved spring housing with easier to read numbers.
- Improved “zero-tolerance” lower friction, precision horizontal and vertical bearings
- Improved arm wand redesigned using 3D CAD/CAM for redistributed mass, netting lower resonance and improved strength
- Rega made, new low capacitance phono cable with Neutrik plugs
- New design 100g mild steel balance weight.
Pricing and Availability :
The Rega Planar 3 turntable is available June 2016, at all authorized Rega retailers.
$1,145.00 with pre-fitted Elys 2 MM cartridge; $945.00 without cartridge
RB330 will be available separately in a retail package for $595.00.
About The Sound Organisation
For over twenty years, the mission of The Sound Organisation is to bring the most musical sounding home audio components from Europe to the USA. TSO proudly offers Arcam, Chord Company, DALI, Melco, ProAc, Quadraspire, Rega Research and Wilson Benesch to North American specialty audio retailers. Backed by a unique team of sales, training and service technicians, TSO provides a combination of responsible and responsive retail support delivering the very best sound for the dollar.