Framingham, Mass. – Staples has added the first wave of crowdfunded technology products to its online store.
The winning products from the retailer’s inaugural Crowd2Shelf Contest can be purchased on Staples’ newly launched entrepreneurial website.
Created by Fundable and sponsored by Staples, the Crowd2Shelf Contest drew thousands of startups across the country to compete for a chance to sell their inventions through Staples.
Contestants demonstrated demand for their innovative products by gathering votes and crowdfunding pledges. A panel of innovation experts, including Fundable and Staples representatives, chose the winners based on votes, success of crowdfunding campaigns, and each judges’ understanding of what it takes for a startup to be successful.
“We’re proud to showcase our Crowd2Shelf entrepreneurs through our new online store and help them launch their ideas,” said Daniel Reilly, Staples’ director of product design and innovation. “We were incredibly impressed with the caliber of startup product companies that participated and are thrilled to offer our customers these innovative new products to help them make more happen.”
The winning products and contestants include:
• a folding Bluetooth keyboard from Los Angeles-based Jorno;
• remote-controlled recessed LED lighting from EVA of Wilmington, Del.;
• an outlet-mounted Bluetooth music player from The Plug Radio of Hollywood, Calif.;
• smartphone-controlled lighting from Austin, Texas-based Plum (available soon); and
• a secure tablet holder from nHand, Tulsa, Okla.
The Crowd2Shelf Contest was also made possible by the business strategy firm Sprosty Network.