LG is giving its WebOS smart-TV platform an upgrade, as well as expanding its roster of content partners to include 4K and HD streaming of DirecTV content for subscribers.
The WebOS will allow DirecTV subscribers with LG smart TVs to stream HD and 4K content. Select 2014 and 2015 LG smart TVs will allow DirecTV subscribers with a Genie HD DVR to watch FullHD DVR content on the TV without extra set-top boxes.
The TVs will have the new DirecTV Ready app by Sept. 2.
Other new content partners for LG WebOS TVs include iHeartRadio and Rdio. LG also announced at free firmware update for 2014 WebOS smart TVs "to give owners virtually all of the new WebOS 2.0 features that debuted on this year’s new smart-TV models." Upgraded TVs will offer an improved user experience with a more intuitive layout, convenient shortcuts, quicker boot-up time and faster response when switching between applications, LG said. The free update will be available on Sept. 21.
LG said the update will improve on the previous WebOS version with the following features:
* Faster Performance: speeds performance when launching the Home menu, accessing settings and loading applications;
* Added My Channels: allows users to customize their favorite live TV or set-top box channels on the Launcher Bar for greater convenience and quick access;
* Improved Quick Settings: minimizes distraction from content with vertical “buttons” on the right side of the screen activated when the Magic Remote cursor passes over them;
* Updated Input Selection: now includes this useful feature as a Quick Menu option for faster access to a variety of inputs; and
* Modified Live Menu: updates the live channel list with a modern look and feel as well as more detailed information.
Owners of WebOS 1.0 TVs who have the automatic update option enabled will receive the upgrade automatically. If automatic update is not enabled, users will receive a pop-up message on their screen to guide them through the process. LG’s 2014 smart-TV series that will receive the update are: LB6300, LB6500, LB7100, LB7200, UB8500, UB9200, UB9300, UB9500, UB9800, EC9300, EC9700 and EG9700.
The DirecTV Ready-enabled TV models are the LG LF6300 and EG9100. DirecTV 4K Ready-enabled TV models are the UF9500, UF7600, UF7690, UF7700, UF8500, UF8600 and EG9600.