Haier America has acquired a six-story building in Midtown Manhattan that will house the majap and A/V supplier’s corporate offices and R&D labs.
The structure, located on Broadway at 36th Street near Haier’s current headquarters, will also feature showrooms, a restaurant and an interactive gallery on the first floor that will be open to the public.
Haier paid $14.5 million for the landmark building, which was completed in 1924 for the Greenwich Bank. New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission called it one of the most refined examples of bank buildings designed by the architectural firm of York & Sawyer.
Haier celebrated the acquisition earlier this month with a gala opening event that included a ribbon-cutting ceremony featuring president/CEO Michael Jemal, Haier Corp. chairman Zhang Ruimin and China’s United Nations Ambassador Wang Yingfan. Other guests included NATM buying group executive director Bill Trawick and representatives of member dealers ABC Warehouse and Nebraska Furniture Mart.