Seattle - Amazon rolled out a new promotion for its Kindle line called Kindle With Special Offers that lowers the price to $114.
The Kindle included is the $139 Kindle with Wi-Fi. It is available for pre-orders and will ship on May 3.
To counter the lower price Kindle With Special Offers users will have to accept a sponsored screensaver and advertising on the bottom of the home page.
The initial screensavers will be from companiesuch as Buick, Olay, Visa and Amazon.com Reward Visa Card. The Kindle owner will have some flexibility in what screensaver promotions are pushed onto their device. Through a free app the consumer can pick the most visually appealing ad and they can indicate what type of advertising they would like to receive.
To sweeten the deal Amazon will send the user regularly updated special promotional pricing offers. The first week's offer will include:
- $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
- $6 for 6 Audible Books (normally $68)
- $1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store (choose from over 1 million albums)
- $10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop or Amazon Swim Shop
- Free $100 Amazon.com Gift Card when you get an Amazon Rewards Visa Card (normally $30)
- Buy one of 30 Kindle bestsellers with your Visa card and get $10 Amazon.com credit
- 50 percent off Roku Streaming Player (normally $99)