RIDGEFIELD PARK, N.J.,–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Samsung Electronics has won the 2015 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the third year in a row. This distinguishes Samsung as the only consumer electronics company to have earned this prestigious ENERGY STAR award for its continued leadership in protecting the environment through activities focused on providing products with superior energy efficiency for the third year in a row.
In addition, Samsung has also won the 2015 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Climate Communications Award for the second straight year for its efforts in further educating consumers about the positive effect energy efficiency and energy-efficient behaviors has on climate change.
“We are truly honored to have received two ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Awards for the second year in a row,” said Gregory Lee, president and CEO Of Samsung Electronics North America. “Samsung is very committed to sustainability and developing both innovative and energy-efficient products while pursuing various ways to help the community. We are also proud to work with ENERGY STAR to raise awareness about energy-efficient behaviors that help protect our environment and fight climate change.”
Samsung was selected from 16,000 organizations in the U.S. participating in the ENERGY STAR program for the two honors. The company’s related accomplishments last year include:
- Product Innovation: Samsung offers 711 ENERGY STAR-qualified models across multiple product categories. Four Samsung products received the Eco-Design and Sustainable Technologies Award from the Consumer Electronics Association earlier this year. The number marks the most among all manufacturers.
- Consumer Promotion: Through its consumer promotions, Samsung highlighted the importance of the EPA’s “Change the World, Start with ENERGY STAR” campaign.
- Corporate Citizenship: At Boys & Girls Clubs of America events throughout 2014, Samsung reached 150,000 youth across the United States and taught Club members and their families about the importance of saving energy and protecting the environment from climate change.
Also this year, two new major Samsung facilities are opening – Samsung Semiconductor, Inc., a state-of-the art energy-efficient campus in San Jose, California, later this year and Samsung Research America’s new R&D center, built in accordance with LEED Gold and LEED Platinum certification standards in Mountain View, California, which opened earlier this year.
“Through their sustained participation with ENERGY STAR, Samsung Electronics is helping Americans save money, save energy, and do their part to reduce our nation’s greenhouse gas emissions that fuel climate change,” said EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy. “I applaud Samsung for earning EPA’s highest ENERGY STAR award, the 2015 Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award, demonstrating a strong commitment to energy efficiency and to preserving a healthy planet for future generations.”
A proud ENERGY STAR partner since 1996, this marks the seventh consecutive year Samsung has been honored by the EPA’s ENERGY STAR program. Samsung has been recognized in the past as follows:
- 2014 ENERGY STAR Partner of the year – Sustained Excellence Award & Climate Communications Award
- 2013 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award
- 2012 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Product Manufacturer Award
- 2011 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Product Manufacturer Award
- 2010 ENERGY STAR Award for Excellence in Energy Star Promotion
- 2009 ENERGY STAR Award for Excellence in Energy Star Labeling
Samsung will formally accept its ENERGY STAR awards at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., on April 20, 2015. For more information about Samsung’s sustainability efforts, please visit http://www.samsung.com/us/showcase/environmental-responsibility-through-eco-innovations/.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. inspires the world and shapes the future with transformative ideas and technologies, redefining the worlds of TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, cameras, digital appliances, printers, medical equipment, network systems and semiconductors. We are also leading in the Internet of Things space through, among others, our Digital Health and Smart Home initiatives. We employ 307,000 people across 84 countries. To discover more, please visit our official website at www.samsung.com.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR® is the simple choice for energy efficiency achievements. For more than 20 years, people across America have looked to EPA’s ENERGY STAR program for guidance on how to save energy, save money, and protect the environment. Behind each blue label is a product, building, or home that is independently certified to use less energy and cause fewer of the emissions that contribute to climate change. Today, ENERGY STAR is the most widely recognized symbol for energy efficiency in the world, helping families and businesses save $300 billion on utility bills, while reducing greenhouse gas emissions by two billion metric tons since 1992. Join the millions who are already making a difference at energystar.gov.
Samsung Electronics North America
Theresa Cha, 201-229-4032