NORTHRIDGE, California – At CEDIA 2014, HARMAN will host “The Science of Loudspeaker-Room Calibration,” a seminar that will examine the acoustical interactions between the loudspeakers and the listening room and their critical role in the perceived sound quality of a home theater or music system. The seminar will be given by Dr. Sean Olive, Director of Acoustic Research, HARMAN International; Todd Welti, Principal Engineer in Acoustics, HARMAN International and Todd Packer, US Central Sales Manager, HARMAN Luxury Audio Group. It will be held on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 from 10:00 – 11:30 am in Room 607 of the Colorado Convention Center.
“The seminar will present the latest research and scientific findings on loudspeaker/room interactions and advise participants on how to use this knowledge in the real world of custom installation,” said Jim Garrett, Director of Marketing and Product Management, HARMAN Luxury Audio and Loudspeakers. “Participants will come away with a better understanding of how to design and install better-sounding systems for their customers.”
The following topics will be covered:
- The relationship between loudspeaker measurements and listener preferences
- The audibility (or inaudibility) of loudspeaker-room resonances and room reflections
- Acoustical treatment of rooms based on science – not profit potential
- So-called “golden room ratios” – truth or myth?
- The do’s and don’ts of measuring and calibrating loudspeakers in rooms
- Optimizing the sweet spot and in-room response of loudspeaker/subwoofer positioning and the use and advantages of multiple subwoofers
- Loudspeaker/room correction through equalization – does it work?
- A demonstration of a room-correction system: the JBL Synthesis ARCOS Adaptive Room Correction and Optimization System
Dr. Sean Olive and Todd Welti have contributed much of the research in the field, and Todd Packer has used these principles to successfully calibrate hundreds of home theater and music system installations. Attendance is open to all registered CEDIA attendees Note: the location may be subject to change; please verify the location upon arrival at CEDIA.
HARMAN designs, manufactures and markets premier audio, visual, infotainment and integrated control solutions for the automotive, consumer and professional markets. With 15 leading brands, including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon® and Mark Levinson ®, the Company is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and infotainment systems. HARMAN has a global workforce of 15,200 people and reported sales of $5.1 billion for the last 12 months ended March 31, 2014.