As retail competition grows fiercer — for real estate as well as customers — CE merchants have been forced to don their creative caps and devise novel store formats to suit the changing times.
On the following pages, TWICE takes a look at five new design concepts that address the challenges and opportunities in their markets and for their companies. They include:
- Best Buy, which having conquered the strip mall now needs to tame the urban frontier;
- Gateway and CompUSA, which need to integrate new A/V assortments into their PC chains;
- Electronics Expo, a nascent specialty store that needs a niche in the cutthroat New York metro market;
- Macy’s, the grand old department store dame that has reawakened to CE and needs a point of entry.
Whether these retail experiments will be fruitful and multiply remains to be seen. But in the meantime, hats off to these innovators for trying.
- 2019 TWICE Top 100: Watch List - May 23, 2019
- 2019 TWICE Top 100: Consumer-Direct Sales Dominate The Charts - May 22, 2019
- 2019 TWICE Top 100: Best Buy Keeps The CE Crown, But Barely - May 21, 2019