LAS VEGAS – Southern California A/V special chain Video & Audio Center, Comcast and Walmart were each honored as retailers of the year in their respective categories by the DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, an industry promotional group for A/V hardware and software, here Tuesday.
Video and Audio Center received an award for Hardware Retailer of the Year in recognition of its role as a “common launch point for new technologies as well as a respected leader in showcasing it.”
“We are delighted to see the DEG membership recognize a regional retailer for its tireless effort to educate consumers about the best devices and products for home entertainment use,” said Amy Jo Smith, DEG president. “Video & Audio Center takes the time to train its staff which is then able to better market consumer electronics products to home entertainment enthusiasts.”
Cable giant Comcast was recognized as a sell-through retailer, “for its stellar execution into the electronic sell-through market and for innovating amongst their peer group.”
“Kudos to Comcast for not just launching a successful electronic sell-through service for Digital HD, but doing so in a leadership position amongst their peers,” Smith said. “We congratulate Comcast on their successful entry into EST and for being honored by the DEG membership.”
Walmart was honored as DEG Software Retailer of the Year 2014 for its long standing commitment to both physical and digital content.
“Consumers’ appetite for physical content – both Blu-ray Disc Disc and DVD – remains strong,” Smith commented. “We applaud Walmart for its tireless effort to support home entertainment content both in its stores and online.”
For products, the recipients of the DEG Emiel N. Petrone Innovation Awards included the following:
• Best 4K Ultra HD TV: Samsung UN65F9000 4K Ultra HD TV
• Best Hi-Res Audio Product: Sony HAPZ1ES Hi-Res Audio Music Player
• Best Connected HD Device: OPPO BDP- 103D Blu-ray Disc Player
• Most Innovative Home Entertainment Product: Sharp SD-WH1000U Wireless High Resolution Audio Player
DEG Creative Excellence Awards went to:
• New Release on Blu-ray: “Guardians of the Galaxy” (Walt Disney Studios)
• Classic Reissue on Blu-ray: “Halloween Complete Collection” (Anchor Bay Entertainment)
• New Release on Digital HD: “X-Men Days of Future Past” (20th Century Fox Home Entertainment)
• Classic Reissue on Digital HD: “Stop Making Sense” (Cinedigm)
• TV on Blu-ray: “Batman: The Complete Television Series Limited Edition” (Warner Bros. Home Entertainment)
• Hi-Res Audio Download: “Kind of Blue,” Miles Davis (Sony Music Entertainment)
• Concert Video on Blu-ray: “Quadrophenia: Live in London,” The Who (Universal Music Group).