While most pundits are crafting end-of-the-year recaps of 2017, e-commerce consultant Absolunet is already looking ahead.
The Canadian company has compiled a Top 10 list of e-commerce trends that will have the greatest impact on retailers, distributors, manufacturers and consumers in 2018. As senior VP Charles Desjardins explains, “[While] the technologies themselves already exist, we expect the adoption and proliferation of these technologies to grow substantially this year, changing the very nature of how companies do business.”
The list, he added, was created to help retailers, manufacturers and distributors “gain valuable insight” and choose “the right strategies and partners to bridge the e-commerce gap.”
So without further ado, here are Absolunet’s Top 10 e-commerce trends that will have the greatest impact next year:
- The rebirth of brick-and-mortar: A new breed of retail stores and in-person experiences will begin to replace outgoing retailers.
- The consumerization of b-to-b: The perfect storm is about to hit the nearly $1 trillion b-to-b e-commerce sector.
- AR in the house: Augmented reality will go from novelty to a sales driver.
- ROPO, the new measure of a retailer’s digital success: ROPO, or research online, purchase offline, will let merchants know which clicks led to in-store sales.
- Mobile checkout overtakes desktop checkout: Mobile commerce’s biggest challenge – checkout – will become its greatest asset.
- AI will create the perfect customer experience: Shopping will be customized and optimized for every consumer.
- Amazon and the year of marketplace maturity: Amazon will be a ubiquitous element in every e-commerce business plan in 2018.
- Voice will change Google, SEO and e-commerce forever: In 2018, consumers will speak to their devices and use voice to make purchases like never before.
- Photo shopping: Image-based product searches will be big in 2018, essentially altering the very nature of online search.
- Reaching peak browser: The browser will no longer be the de facto means by which we purchase products or services digitally.
For a deeper dive into each, visit Absolunet’s dedicated Top 10 trends page.