The TWICE Retailing Giants Report ranks the leading domestic consumer electronics and white-goods dealers by combined sales of the two categories for the 2015 calendar year.
Sales figures are based on information that was supplied by retailers responding to a 300-dealer survey by TWICE and its research partner The Stevenson Company. Absent their input, estimates were developed from Stevenson’s internal market tracking surveys (TraQline) and industry sizing based on wholesale shipment figures from the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), average retail price points by products, housing market data and other sources.
All estimates were further refined and submissions vetted using public filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), TWICE industry analyses, financial analysts’ reports, published data and other sources. Sales figures for 2015 were then compared to 2014 sales tallies and adjusted if necessary to more closely track industrywide revenue growth.
Businesses must meet the following criteria to be considered for inclusion:
• sell new products directly to consumers;
• have brick-and-mortar retail stores or a significant online presence;
• sell onsumer electronics or major appliances as one of their principal lines of business;
• do not sell solely to the builder channel or to multi-family dwellings;
• does not offer consumer electronics products primarily to sell its transmission services, i.e. wireless carriers, cable operators, satellite radio/TV providers;
• sell at least one of the following major appliance categories as defined by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM): washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, ranges, cooktops, wall ovens, microwave ovens, room air conditioners and dehumidifiers; or
• sells merchandise that is considered consumer electronics products as defined by the CTA.
Sales are considered to be the revenue received for merchandise only, and which is sold solely through the retail channel.
The Stevenson Company, based in Louisville, Ky., began as the global economic analysis and research department of GE Appliances. Now independent, the market research firm has served the consumer electronics and major appliances industries for 21 years by developing markets sizing and market share estimates. Its TraQline syndicated quarterly survey of 150,000 shoppers measures retail purchases of consumer durables and provides estimates of unit and dollar market share and other key measures.