Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now


CEA: 2001 Video Game Sales Up 16.7%

Factory dollar volume in electronic gaming hardware and software rose 16.7 percent in 2001, according to end-of-year estimates issued by the Consumer Electronics Association at the recent 2002 International Consumer Electronics Show.

Total dollar volume for games and hardware reached $9.975 billion last year, CEA said. Of that, hardware accounted for 32.6 percent of the total, while software accounted for the remaining 67.4 percent.

The outlook for 2002 is for total video game hardware and software sales to climb 15 percent to an estimated $11.5 billion, according to association market research.

CEA said video game consoles generated an estimated $3.25 billion in factory dollar volume in 2001, up 20.4 percent from the prior year. For 2002, the association said sales should increase by another 15.4 percent to $3.75 billion.

Factory dollars from video software sales rose 15 percent in 2001 to $6.7 billion in 2001, and CEA said it expects that to rise another 14.9 percent in 2002 to $7.7 billion.

CEA 2000-2002 Video Game Sales Outlook

(Units in 1,000s, $ value in millions)