LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y. - Canon introduced last week a new HD camcorder offering dual flash-memory storage sources and built-in HD-to-SD downconversion.
The Vixia HF M32 dual flash-memory camcorder, which is scheduled to ship in September at a $1,000 suggested retail, is billed as an easy-touse model with the ability to record many hours of high-quality HD video on the go.
Canon sees this capability as ideally suited to family documentarians and social-networking fanatics.
The M34 is equipped with 64GB of internal flash memory, to record up to 24 hours of HD video, and also includes an SD memory card slot that is compatible with high-capacity SDXC memory cards.
SDXC memory cards increase storage capacity limits from 32GB up to 2TB and enhance data-transfer speeds.
The Vixia HF M32 continues the M-series tradition of offering HD video recording from a camcorder with an ultra-sleek, compact and lightweight body.
It includes an HD CMOS image sensor, DIGIC DV III image processor and Canon high-quality optics.
Like other Vixia HF M-series camcorders, the M32 also features a touchpanel LCD and a host of features for capturing and sharing HD video.
Key features include:
• Smart Auto: This system uses Canon’s DIGIC DV III image processor to intelligently detect and analyze brightness, color, distance, and movement and automatically select the best setting for the scene being recorded.
• Touch & Track: This enables users to select a subject on the touchpanel LCD, which will then be recognized and tracked. It includes facial recognition, as well as objects and animals, to ensure the subject remains in focus as it moves around in the frame.
• Relay Recording: Th is allows capturing uninterrupted video when the primary recording media is full. The camcorder will continue to record a scene by switching from one memory source to the other as it fills up, so that a moment of action will not be missed.
• Powered IS: This image-stabilization system joins with Canon’s Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization system to provide a higher level of camera motion compensation • HD-to-SD Down-conversion: This enables users to preserve HD recordings while making SD versions of the recordings for easier sharing and transferring.
• Advanced Video Snapshot: This will enable capturing two-, four- or eight-second video clips while recording or during playback.
The Vixia HF M32 is said to be compatible with Eye-Fi SD memory cards for easy wireless transferring of video content and photos to a computer or sharing site.
Canon said it will also supply an optional waterproof case (model WP-V2, $599) for the M32, enabling it to be taken to a depth of 130 feet for underwater video making.