Golden, Colo. --
unveiled Tuesday a virtual mud fight app for Facebook users, designed to promote the Optio W90 weatherproof camera.
Facebook members who play the
, can become eligible to win a $400 American Express gift card.
Participation is limited to current Facebook members, and sign-up is free, Pentax said.
Once loaded, the Mudfight Challenge app randomly helps players select five Facebook friends. Users access a computer mouse to target the crosshair as friends pop up randomly.
Every hit drives up the score and helps players ascend to higher levels of play while top scores are recorded on a leaderboard.
Facebookers are entered into the sweepstakes each time they play, and may enter up to 50 times per day.
The game was developed as a way to communicate the weather-proof, dirt-proof capabilities of the Pentax Optio W90.
The app is said to be one of several consumer marketing initiatives to promote the camera leveraging popular social networks.
Pentax Imaging launched
about one year ago. More than 20,000 (and growing) Facebookers indicate they "like" the site on the home page, Pentax said.
"There is no longer one right way to engage consumers," said Ned Bunnell, president, Pentax Imaging. "This comprehensive campaign, designed by The1stMovement, our recently selected digital advertising agency of record, uses a combination of interactive and social media components to help us build stronger relationships with more customers."
"Providing engagement with the Pentax brand through a social media game is a natural extension of the Optio W90 initiative," said Ann Van Orsdel, The1stMovement president. "Reaching our audience where they spend their time, helps reinforce our product message and key benefits in a way that is both fun and relevant."
Along with Mudfight, Pentax and The1stMovement recently unveiled "The Most Adventurous Friend You Know" (TMAFYK) campaign for the Optio W90 that encompasses:
- Home page animated flash enhancements at www.pentaximaging.com to communicate the features of the Optio W90 and all of the latest Pentax digital cameras.
- Digital and traditional billboards and train wraps posted in downtown Minneapolis near the TWINS Stadium on the cusp of the holiday shopping season.
- Targeted online integrated, taunting rich media banner ads that feature the Optio W90 and TMAFYK encouraging viewers to create an adventure of their own and step outside their comfort zone.
- The leveraging of a variety of social media advertisements and a targeted pay-per-click campaign.
- Several product videos on www.youtube.com/pentaxian1 that demonstrate product features and applications.