GM Bringing IBM Watson To The Car
General Motors and IBM are teaming for OnStar Go, billed as the auto industry’s first cognitive mobility platform.
Beginning early next year, GM drivers of 2017 model-year vehicles will be able to receive personalized content and experiences through their dashboards other digital channels, supported by GM subsidiary OnStar and featuring IBM’s Watson computing technology. The partnership, which will expand the existing OnStar AtYourService platform, will be available in more than 2 million 4G LTE-connected vehicles and “millions” of GM-brand app-enabled mobile devices in the U.S. by the end of the year as it further expands to 2018 model-year vehicles.
Watson will learn the driver’s preferences, apply machine learning and sift through data to recognize patterns in their decisions and habits, said the companies. IBM and OnStar brand partners will then use the info to deliver “individualized location-based interactions” for drivers who opt in to the service. Brands that have already signed on to the platform include ExxonMobil, Glympse, iHeartRadio, Mastercard and Parkopedia.
IBM and OnStar provided a few use-case examples:
• Drivers low on fuel can receive ways to avoid traffic, and then activate a fuel pump and pay from their dashboard.
• Payments can be made from the dash by implementing Mastercard’s Mastercard Digital Enablement Service (MDES) tokenization platform and Masterpass digital payment service.
• Dining recommendations from celebrity chefs can be given when driving in a new city.
• Retail stores can send notification that an item is ready for pickup.
• Drivers can find and reserve a parking spot on the way to a destination.
• Personalized warnings about driving conditions can be delivered by The Weather Company.
• Entertainment and news can also be tailored to a driver’s preferences via his or her location, calendar or social graph.
“On average, people in the U.S. spend more than 46 minutes per day in their car and are looking for ways to optimize their time,” said Phil Abram, executive director, GM connected products and strategy. “By leveraging OnStar’s connectivity and combining it with the power of Watson, we’re looking to provide safer, simpler and better solutions to make our customers’ mobility experience more valuable and productive.”
- 2019 TWICE Top 100: Hottest Products - May 28, 2019
- Walmart To Offer Free Next-Day Delivery On Orders Over $35 - May 14, 2019
- Amazon Bringing Two-Day Prime Delivery Down To Just One Day - April 26, 2019