Redmond, Wash. — Microsoft unveiled a spate of accessories for its Zune digital media player.
The new first- and third-party accessories will usher in the next generation of Zunes, which will be on shelves Nov. 13, said Microsoft.
An expanded third-party accessory partners program was also announced; the company teaming up with manufacturers to offer products created exclusively for the Zune. Microsoft said it is collaborating directly with 23 accessory partners, including Altec Lansing, Belkin, DLO, Directed Electronics, Griffin Technology, mStation, Memorex, Monster Cable, Speck and Targus, among others.
Introduced accessories include speaker docks from Altec Lansing, iHome and Kicker; cases from Belkin, Case-mate, DLO, Incipio and Speck; and cables, FM transmitters and car kits from Belkin, DLO, Monster and Kicker.
Microsoft added that it will offer a new line of first-party accessories. Products include:
- a home A/V pack for $99.99; it comes with a home dock with three faceplates, wireless remote, AC adapter and A/V output cable.
- a dock pack for $49.99; it comes with three faceplates and an AC adapter.
- a car pack for $79.99; the redesigned FM transmitter/charger features a dashboard grip pad.
- a cable pack for $39.99; the car pack comes with a sync cable, composite A/V output cable and audio cable.
- Zune Premium headphones for $39.99; these are included with the Zune 80GB device.
- a sync cable for $19.99.
- an AC adapter for $29.99; it can charge a Zune to 90 percent in one hour, and fill it up in two hours.
- leather cases for $49.99.
Microsoft unveiled the next generation of Zunes and Zune Social, a beta online community Web site, earlier this month.