NEW YORK — The TWICE Top 100 Major Appliance Retailers Report ranks the leading domestic white-goods dealers by sales of major appliances for the 2013 calendar year.
Sales figures are based on information that was supplied by retailers responding to a survey by TWICE and its research partner The Stevenson Company. Absent their input, estimates were developed from Stevenson’s internal market tracking surveys (TraQline) and industry sizing based on wholesale shipment figures from the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), average retail price points by products, housing market data and other sources.
All estimates were further refined and submissions vetted using public filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), TWICE industry analyses, financial analysts’ reports, published data and other sources. Sales figures for 2013 were then compared to 2012 sales tallies and adjusted if necessary to more closely track industrywide revenue growth.
Major appliance dealers must meet the following criteria to be considered for inclusion:
• sell new products directly to consumers;
• have brick-and-mortar retail stores or a significant online presence;
• sell major appliances as one of their principal lines of business;
• do not sell solely to the builder channel or to multi-family dwellings; and
• sell at least one of the following major appliance categories as defined by AHAM: washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, ranges, cooktops, wall ovens, microwave ovens, room air conditioners and dehumidifiers.
Sales are considered to be the revenue received for merchandise only, and which is sold solely through the retail channel.
Stevenson, based in Louisville, Ky., has served the majap industry for the past 19 years, more recently adding CE to its service portfolio. Its TraQline syndicated quarterly survey of 150,000 shoppers measures retail purchases of consumer durables, and provides estimates of unit and dollar market share and other key data points.