Irvine, Calif. - Toshiba said today it will start shipping its Excite 10 LE tablet on March 6.
The 10-inch tablet was introduced at International CES in January. As previously
, the Excite 10 will come in 16GB and 32GB capacities. Pricing is $529 and $599, respectively.
The units will ship with Android 3.2, but will be upgraded
later this spring to 4.0, the company said. When the Excite models were
announced Toshiba was not certain which OS would be supplied, saying it would
make the decision based on retailer demand. Toshiba was willing to wait until
4.0 was ready, but really wanted to ship it during the first quarter.
"It's a hard decision. We want to get this form factor into the market," said Carrie Cowan, Toshiba's consumer laptops product marketing manager, in December.
However, Cowan said if retailers insist on 4.0, then Toshiba will hold off shipping until it can incorporate the new operating system. Toshiba's Thrive and Excite tablets are over-the-air upgradable, so they can be updated to 4.0 when it becomes available, Cowan had said.
Basic specifications are:
- Android 3.2, Honeycomb (upgradeable to Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich)
- 10.1-inch diagonal LED backlit widescreen Corning Gorilla Glass display with IPS technology and 10-finger multi-touch support
- 1,280 by 800 resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio
- Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 multicore processor; 1.2GHz with 1GB LPDDR2 RAM
- 16GB and 32GB configurations
- 2-megapixel front-facing camera
- 5-megapixel rear-facing camera with LED flash
- Micro USB, Micro HDMI ports
- MicroSD card slot
- Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- gyroscope, accelerometer, GPS, eCompass and Ambient Light Sensor
- stereo speakers with sound enhancements by Toshiba and SRS Labs
- built-in 25 watt-hour rechargeable lithium ion battery
- 10.1 inches wide by 6.9 inches diameter by 0.3 inches height
- 1.18 pounds