- The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) today announced the 2012 class of inductees into the Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame, which includes the founders of LG Electronics and Samsung.
Following are the 2012 members of the CE Hall of Fame in alphabetical order:
Willard Boyle and George Smith
- inventors of the charge-coupled device (CCD) at Bell Labs
- inventor of satellite radio
- creator of the VSB digital TV transmission standard
- founder of consumer electronics retailer Bjorn's
- inventor of the computer mouse and HTML
- founder of satellite companies Echostar and Dish Network
- founder of the International Tape Association (now the International Recording Media Association)
Fansy and Henry Harold Gregg
- founders of consumer electronics retailer hhgregg
In Hwoi Koo
- founder of LG Corp.
- founder of Samsung Electronics
"This elite group of leaders has laid the foundation that our industry continues to build upon," said CEA president and CEO Gary Shapiro. "Their vision, drive to excel and enthusiasm have helped to create the innovative CE products and services that have improved the lives of consumers worldwide. It is a pleasure to recognize this prestigious group."
The 12 new honorees will be inducted into the CE Hall of Fame during CEA's Industry Forum to be held in San Francisco on Oct. 14-17, 2012. During the event, CEA will host an awards dinner to honor the 2012 CE Hall of Fame class on Tuesday, Oct. 16, at the Westin St. Francis. More information about registering for CEA's Industry Forum and attending the Hall of Fame dinner is available at
The 2012 class of inductees was selected on Feb. 22 in New York City by a panel of media and industry professionals, who judged the nominations submitted online by manufacturers, retailers and industry journalists.
The CE Hall of Fame, created in 2000, honors the leaders in the consumer technology industry who have shaped and advanced innovation. To read the 2011 CE Hall of Fame booklet from last year's dinner, visit:
. Complete inductee bios will appear in the 2012 booklet as well as online.