Overland Park, Kansas - The previously announced Google Nexus S 4G phone will go on sale May 8 through all Sprint channels at the previously disclosed price of $199 with two-year service agreement.
The phone will be Sprint's fourth 4G phone but will be Google's first 4G phone, which features what Sprint calls a pure Google experience," making the phone among the first to receive Android software upgrades and new Google mobile apps.
The Samsung-made phone features Android 2.3, Gingerbread, the fastest version of Android available for smartphones. With its pure Google experience, Sprint Nexus S 4G customers will be among the first to receive Android software upgrades and new Google mobile apps, and in many cases, the device will get the updates and new apps as soon as they are available.
The phone, which is Sprint's 20
4G device, features curved 4-inch Contour display to provide a more comfortable feel when placed against the side of the head. The phone is powered by a 1GHz Samsung application processor to deliver 3D-like graphics, faster upload and download times and HD multimedia content. A dedicated Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is designed to make game playing, Web browsing and video watching a fast and fluid experience, the company said.
Samsung's proprietary Super AMOLED touchscreen technology produces less glare than other types of displays and delivers higher color contrast to provide vibrant colors and crisp text.
Nexus S 4G features a 5 megapixel rear-facing camera and camcorder and front-facing VGA camera. In addition, Nexus S 4G features a gyroscope sensor to provide a smooth, fluid gaming experience when the user tilts the device up or down or pans the phone to the left or right.
Other features include:
- a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and camcorder with front-facing VGA camera,
- gyroscope sensor;
- 16GB internal memory (ROM);
- 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi;
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR;
- integrated GPS;
- 3G/4G mobile hot spot capability, supporting up to six Wi-Fi-enabled devices simultaneously;
- Android Market for access to more than 150,000 applications, widgets and games;
- Google mobile services, such as Google Search, Gmail, Google Maps with Navigation, syncing with Google Calendar, Voice Actions and YouTube;
- corporate email (Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync), personal (POP and IMAP) email and instant messaging; and
- near field communication (NFC) technology, which allows the device to read information from everyday objects, like stickers and posters embedded with NFC chips.
Nexus S 4G requires activation on one of Sprint's Everything Data plans, plus a required $10 Premium Data add-on charge for smartphones. Sprint's Everything Data plan with Any Mobile, Anytime includes unlimited web, texting, and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint Network, starting at just $69.99 per month plus required $10 Premium Data add-on charge, Sprint said.