New York - The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) held its annual press preview and CES Unveiled product showcase, here, Tuesday, detailing for those who haven't been paying close attention what will be in store during International CES in January.
The show, produced and owned by the CEA, will be held in Las Vegas Jan. 10-13. This is slightly later than usual, and in another rarity will be held Tuesday through Friday rather than the usual Thursday through Sunday schedule.
While many details on the CES keynoters, TechZones, PMA @ CES, Eureka Park, panels and other happenings at the show were
, here are new events announced last night:
- John Donahoe, president and CEO of eBay, will deliver a keynote address at the Leaders in Technology Dinner (LIT), an invitation-only event, to take place at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 11, in the Lafite Ballroom at The Wynn.
- Bryan Burns, strategic business planning and development VP of ESPN, announced that ESPN 3D will broadcast live a series of boxing matches sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission during the show, and that SportsNation, the popular show hosted by Colin Cowherd and Michelle Beadle, will be broadcast live from CES in 3D and HDTV, along with Cowherd's radio show. For those attending CES, ESPN is inviting guests to the Hilton Theater on Monday, Jan. 9, to watch the BCS National Championship Game in 3D.
- CEA president/CEO Gary Shapiro will have a one-on-one interview with Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski on Jan. 11 at 1:30 pm
- Brian Dunn, Best Buy's CEO, will be part of the "Global Perspective On Retail" panel on Jan. 11 at 3 pm with Shapiro moderating. More panelists will be announced soon.
- Monster is again hosting its Monster Retailer Awards on Jan. 11, with its special musical guests Chicago.
Shapiro also reminded everyone that the 2012 CES is the largest technology show in the world, with 1.7 million square feet of exhibit space, an estimated 140,000 attendees and 2,700 exhibitors expected. "An estimated half-billion dollars of business is done [due to] the show. An average of 12 meetings are held [per attendee] during CES," he noted, illustrating the impact and efficiency of attending the event.
CEA also announced its 2012 International CES Best of Innovations Design and Engineering Award Honorees. The International CES Innovations Awards honor outstanding design and engineering advancements across 32 consumer electronics product categories, including two new trend-focused categories: Tablets, e-Readers, & Netbooks, and Software & Mobile Apps.
The Best of Innovations honor is awarded to the products with the highest judges' scores and will be featured in the Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase at the 2012 International CES. The winners and the categories are:
Lytro Light Field Camera
Eco-Design & Sustainable Technologies
Nest Learning Thermostat
Gaming Hardware & Accessories
Eers custom fitted headphones
High Performance Audio
Health & Wellness
Home Theater Speakers
Reality Design Pty
Integrated Home Systems
SafePlug Electrical Receptacles
LG Electronics USA
Refrigerator with Blast Chiller Technology
Portable Multimedia Accessories
Kitchen Cabinet Mount
RCA USB Wall Plate Charger
Software & Mobile Apps
Ford Motor Company
Tablets, E-Readers & Netbooks
Sony Tablet S1
HTC Amaze 4G
For more information on the Innovations Design and Engineering awards, including photos and description of all honorees, visit
CEA will also reveal more CES plans for the first time overseas at CES Unveiled @ London, Nov. 17.