Best Buy threw down the holiday gauntlet by offering free shipping on all online orders, and by staging special in-store seasonal events in select locations next month.
The free-shipping offer is currently in effect and runs through Jan. 2, 2016; it raises the bar from last year’s $35 minimum order to qualify.
Another new tool in Best Buy’s online arsenal is the addition of a live-chat feature to its mobile app, dubbed BlueAssist.
The retailer will also offer free Geek Squad setup on select products as part of its holiday strategy. A list of qualifying items will be posted on Nov. 1 at BestBuy.com/FreeSetup.
The in-store holiday events will be held in 400 stores on Nov. 7, and will include free gifts; robot and virtual reality demos by Geek Squad staff; Black Friday-like deals; and a chance to win one of five $1,000 Best Buy gift cards via a Twitter sweepstakes. A list of participating stores will be posted at BestBuy.com/ ShoppingEvent on Oct. 29.
Separately, Best Buy released the findings of a holiday survey conducted last month by Research Now and Best Buy Enterprise Research.
Best Buy’s Top 15 Tech Gifts For 2015:
2. Bose QuietComfort 25 noise cancelling headphones
4. Samsung 48-inch smart 4K Ultra HD TV
5. Sharp 43-inch smart HDTV with Roku
6. Microsoft Surface
7. Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II
8. Fitbit Charge HR heart rate and activity tracker
9. Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
10. Dyson V6 Absolute Bagless cordless vacuum
11. Vizio 43-inch smart 4K Ultra HD TV
12. Apple Watch
13. Sonos Play:1 wireless speaker
14. iRobot Roomba vacuum robot
15. GoPro Hero4 action cam