New York - Apple is the No. 1 overall computer, tablet and mobile phone brand, while Sony is the top consumer electronics brand in the 23
"Annual Harris Poll EquiTrend Study."
The annual brand study measures the equity of more than 1,500 brands in a wide variety of consumer categories.
Harris said the study results were based on a sample of 38,529 U.S. consumers, ages 15 and older, who were surveyed online by Harris Interactive from Jan. 31 through Feb. 20. The survey took an average of 40 minutes to complete.
The top brands in the consumer electronics, computer, telecommunications, gaming and major appliance categories were:
- Consumer Electronics (overall) - Sony Home Electronics
- Car Audio - Bose In-Vehicle Audio;
- Digital Camera - Canon
- GPS Navigation - Garmin Navigation System
- Computer (overall) - Apple Computers
- Tablet Computer - Apple iPad
- E-readers - Amazon Kindle
- Printer - HP Printing & Imaging
- Telecommunications (mobile phones) - Apple iPhone
- Gaming Platform - Nintendo Wii
- Major Appliances - KitchenAid
The study's sample was from the Harris Interactive online panel of respondents, a multimillion-member database consisting of cooperative respondents who have double-opted in to be randomly invited by Harris Interactive to take part in online surveys.
The total number of brands rated was 1,529. Each respondent was asked to rate a total of 40 randomly selected brands. Each brand received approximately 1,000 ratings.
Data was weighted to be representative of the entire U.S. population of consumers ages 15 and older based on age, sex, education, race/ethnicity, region and income. Data from respondents ages 18 and older were also weighted for thei
r propensity to be online, Harris said.