The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) recently released a new report showing 89% of U.S. renters and homeowners currently use and have at least one smart or connected technology product installed in their households. In fact, 70% of owners installed a product since the start of the pandemic and more Americans are turning to DIY for their future installations.
Here are some key findings from the CTA report:
COVID-19 pandemic spurred more home technology product ownership, despite causing installation cancellations and timeline delays.
- Across 22 smart or connected home technology products, 227 million (or 89%) U.S. renters and homeowners currently use and have installed at least one product within their households. Among those, 70% report installing at least one product since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, and one-third said the pandemic made them more likely to “do it yourself” (DIY) (36%) or use a professional installer (32%).
- Of the 159 million consumers who installed or planned to install a home technology product since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, 54% experienced project delays, postponements or cancellations.
Across all home technology devices, most product installations by consumers still favor DIY.
- Among the 196 million consumers planning to install at least one home technology product in the next 12 months, one-third (32%) exclusively plan to DIY compared to 17% who exclusively plan to use a professional installer.
Schedule is the top reason for DIY-ing, while skillfulness is the top reason for professional installations.
- 81% agree that pro installers can install what the consumer cannot.
- Eight in 10 agree that working at one’s own pace/schedule and feeling a personal sense of accomplishment are the most compelling reasons for DIY installations (82% and 80%, respectively).
Professional installers are the go-to solution for unsuccessful home technology product installations.
- Among those who DIY, should an installation not be successful, more than half (54%) say they are likely to resort to a professional installer.