Samsung Wins Highest Energy Star AwardRidgefield Park, N.J. — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said Tuesday it has recognized Samsung Electronics with its highest award: the 2013 Energy Star Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence. 3/05/2013 08:25:00 AM Eastern
Ridgefield Park, N.J. — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said Tuesday it has recognized Samsung Electronics with its highest award: the 2013 Energy Star Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence.
In a statement announcing the feat Tuesday, Bob Perciasepe, EPA acting administrator, said Samsung Electronics
“leads the field with their commitment to energy efficiency and demonstrates how all Americans can save energy, save money and create a healthier environment.”
Samsung will formally accept the award at a ceremony in Washington on March 26.
The federal agency cited Samsung for continued leadership in protecting the environment through various activities all focused on providing products with superior energy efficiency.
Samsung was selected from among a field of nearly 20,000 Energy Star participating organizations.
The EPA called out Samsung for the following achievements:
- Offering 1,435 Energy Star-qualified models across multiple product categories, four of which received the Eco-Design and Sustainability Award from the CEA. In 2012, Samsung had more Energy Star-qualified televisions and clothes washers than any other consumer electronics brands.
- Highlighting the importance of energy efficiency and greenhouse gas reduction with various consumer programs that actively promoting the “Change the World, Start with Energy Star” campaign, including an electronic billboard in Times Square, an Eco-zone at International CES, and at Boys & Girls Club of America events throughout the year.
- Working with employees, retailers and distributors to create training programs on energy efficiency and greenhouse gas reductions.
“We are thrilled to be selected for the Energy Star Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award,” stated Yangkyu (Y.K.) Kim, Samsung Electronics North America president and CEO. “This prestigious honor recognizes our corporate commitment to sustainability and encourages us to continue seeking smarter ways to manage our operations sustainably while developing the most innovative and energy efficient products.”
The EPA said its Energy Star programs have helped Americans save more than $230 billion on utility bills and prevented more than 1.8 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
The 2013 Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a select group of organizations that have exhibited outstanding leadership year after year. These winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, and employing innovative energy efficiency approaches, the EPA said. These awards recognize ongoing leadership across the Energy Star program, including energy-efficient products, services, new homes, and buildings in the commercial, industrial, and public sectors.
In addition to being named 2013 Energy Star Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence, Samsung has earned the past Energy Star awards:
- 2012 Energy Star Partner of the Year – Product Manufacturer Award
- 2011 Energy Star Partner of the Year – Product Manufacturer Award
- 2010 Energy Star Excellence in Energy Star Promotion
- 2009 Energy Star Excellence in Energy Star Labeling.