By Lisa Johnston
New products on display at the American International Toy Fair, held in N
Los Angeles – The Seahawks may have been the big winners on the scoreboard Super Bowl Sunday, but, as is usually the case, the NFL, Fox, Madison Avenue and, hopefully, a handful of sponsors are taking victory laps this morning for scoring where it counts most – the till.
According to electronics measuring polls from DVR-resource TiVo and OTT giant Hulu Adzone, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” (a non-paid half-time spot) and “Budweiser’s Puppy Love” were the top two most popular commercials of the evening.
“Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee,” starring members of the Seinfeld cast, ranked as the top most replayed commercial moment by TiVo viewers, while “Puppy Love” ranked as the top paid commercial with Hulu Adzone viewers and second with TiVo viewers.
The top 10 TiVo rankings include the following:
1. “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” (halftime) — may not have been a true paid ad, but it functioned as one to consumers
2. Budweiser’s “Puppy Love” (fourth quarter)
3. GoDaddy’s “Bodybuilder” (fourth quarter)
4. Doritos’s “Cowboy Kid” (fourth quarter)
5. Toyota Highlander’s “Terry Crews & the Muppets” (second quarter)
6. Doritos’s “Time Machine” (first quarter)
7. RadioShack’s “The Phone Call” (first quarter)
8. Oikos Greek Yogurt’s “The Spill” (fourth quarter)
9. Bud Light’s “Up for Whatever #2” (first quarter)
10. Squarespace’s “A Better Web Awaits” (first quarter)
The top 10 most-liked Hulu Adzone spots (ranked by fan votes) included the following:
1. Budweiser: “Puppy Love”
2. Coca-Cola: “It’s Beautiful”
3. Budweiser: “A Hero’s Welcome”
4. Audi: “Doberhuahua”
5. Toyota: “Big Game Ad Starring Terry Crews and the Muppets”
6. RadioShack: “The Phone Call Commercial”
7. Volkswagen: “Wings”
8. Chevy: “Romance”
9. 2015 Hyundai Genesis: “Dad's Sixth Sense”
10. Dannon Okios: “Spill”
Meanwhile, Hulu AdZone, presented by Toyota, is a comprehensive hub featuring the commercials of Super Bowls past, and real-time viewing and voting of commercials during the big game. The company said that “hundreds of thousands of fans watched, voted, shared, tweeted and liked their favorite ads across Hulu AdZone on web, iOS and Android devices” throughout the game.
According to TiVo: “Ads with a throwback component were especially popular this year, with six of the top 10 spots incorporating themes from yesteryear, including a time machine, cameos from ’80’s icons in RadioShack’s ‘The Phone Call’ and a Schwarzenegger appearance in Bud Light’s ‘Up for Whatever #2,’ as well as returns to TV by the casts of ‘Seinfeld,’ ‘Full House’ and ‘The Muppets Show.’”
For the fourth year in a row, TiVo said it found viewership for the halftime show exceeding that of the overall game.
“The top moment from halftime was exactly what many fans were eagerly anticipating, the moment Bruno Mars began to sing following his opening drum solo,” TiVo said in a statement.
TiVo said the top re-watched moments from the game itself were: No. 1, the bad snap on the opening drive that led to a Seattle Seahawks Safety; No. 2, the field goal to give the Seahawks an early 5-0 lead; and No. 3 the kick-off return for a touchdown by Percy Harvin following halftime.
In other rankings by Hulu Adzone viewers, ads that made them laugh out load (LOL) included the following:
1. Audi: “Doberhuahua”
2. Toyota: “Terry Crews and the Muppets”
3. Hyundai Genesis: “Dad’s Sixth Sense:
The top Super Bowl XLVIII celebrity cameo ads included:
1. Toyota: “Big Game Ad Starring Terry Crews and the Muppets”
2. Dannon Oikos: “Spill”
3. RadioShack: “The Phone Call”
The favorite music-themed commercials included:
1. Beats Music: “Game Day Spot With Ellen DeGeneres”
2. Kia: “The Truth”
3. Bank of America: “Invisible with U2”
The ads found most inspiring included:
1. Budweiser: “A Hero’s Welcome”
2. Coca-Cola: “It’s Beautiful”
3. Budweiser: “Puppy Love”
This TWICE webinar, hosted by senior editor Alan Wolf, will take a look at what may be the hottest CE products at retail that will be sold during the all-important fourth quarter. Top technologies, market strategies and industry trends will be discussed with industry analysts and executives.